Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where's the Beef

My grandparents owned a farm and raised cattle, so growing up I ate a lot of beef. In fact, you could say my family epitomized the phrase "Beef, it's what's for dinner." And I have carried that on in my adult life. We eat a lot of beef in this house. In fact, we eat a lot of meat. Almost every meal features some kind of meat.

I had not realized how central meat had become to a meal until I made soup the other day. I made a lovely green chile soup with potatoes. No meat. So Andrew and I sit down for lunch and Andrew starts picking through his soup.

Andrew: Mommy, where's the meat?

Me: What are you talking about?

Andrew: Where's the meat? There is no meat in my soup.

Me: This soup does not have any meat any it.

Andrew: Well, there is supposed to be meat in it.

Me: Just eat your soup!


Clearly we need to eat vegetarian more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment