Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

There is nothing like a small emergency in your life to make you really appreciate your family and friends. For example, this past weekend, when I unexpectedly had surgery to remove my gall bladder. On Thanksgiving day, I had no idea there was anything wrong with my gall bladder, by Saturday evening, it was gone. And I would have never made it through without my family and friends.

It all started Thanksgiving Day with what I thought was heartburn. When the heartburn was still bothering me on Friday, I went to minor emergency. That was where I got the first inkling I was going to lose my gall bladder sooner or later, but honestly, I thought I would have more time to say good bye. While the doctor was sure I had gall stones, I needed an ultrasound to verify it and all of the radiology centers were closed. The doctor sent me home with some vicodin, a list of instructions, and a warning that the gall bladder was probably coming out the next week. Hah!

When I started getting sick Saturday morning, I knew my time together with my gall bladder was coming to an end. I gave my parents a warning call and then called the doctor at minor emergency. Yes, he said, it was time to go to the emergency room. I called my parents, who already had their pajamas packed, and waited them to show up to watch Andrew. I do have to give a big thank you to my parents. Adam and I did not want to take Andrew to the emergency room because we did not want him to get upset but I needed Adam with me in case I got upset. Mom and Dad dropped everything and were at our house within 35 minutes of my call. As far as Andrew was concerned, he was getting to spend a fun weekend with his grandparents and I never had to worry about my child.

Within an hour and a half after our arrival at Round Rock Medical Center, Adam and I knew my gall bladder was coming out. With some morphine (lovely stuff) and some valium (even lovelier), I made it until 2:00 pm when they wheeled me back to the surgery room. The next few hours are blurry but when I finally came around, I was missing one of my non-essential organs.

I came home Sunday and have been well taken care of since. I have to give thanks to my parents and Adam's parents for watching Andrew during these days of recovery. Oddly enough, I am just not up to watching Andrew right now, shocking I know. I also have to thank our family and our friends for feeding us. I can not get it together to cook right now and the boys can eat only so many hot dogs.

So all you girls out there (because gall stones affect mostly women), if you are experiencing really bad heartburn and are in your 30's, have your gall bladder checked out. You never know. It could be here today and gone tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything went well! I have been there and it's not fun, but I must say my days are better without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what my surgeon said. He said I probably hadn't realized how bad I was feeling. Today, I feel almost human.

    ReplyDelete