Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Monkey v. The Girl

As I told Adam this morning, I had a busy day planned. So, after sending the boys off to work/school this morning, I hopped into my car and set off. I stopped at Randall's to pick up a few things, the first of my six planned stops today. Go in, pick up the 2 things I needed and bop on back out to the car. Get in my lovely little car, turn the key and hear "whir, whir" and nothing else. "Well, that doesn't sound good" I think to myself. "Perhaps, I just need to try it again and it will work." Whir, whir. Seriously? I have a full day planned and I am stuck at my first stop? You have got to be kidding me.

So, I whip out my cell phone (handy little things) and call Adam. I explain to him that the car won't stop, it just goes "whir" and I am stuck at Randalls. And my dear husband says he will be right there. While I wait for Adam, I go ahead and call my car dealer (where I have an extended warranty) and get the phone number for the towing service they use. It is obvious that something is really wrong with my car (otherwise I would be headed to my next stop) and I am going to have to have it towed to the shop. My entire day is shot.

About 15 minutes later, Adam pulls into the parking space next to my car which, fortuitously, was unoccupied. He goes around to the tool box and pulls out his jumper cables. I, knowing it can be something as simple as the battery, say "I think it's the starter. Don't you even want to hear it." To humor me, I think, Adam agrees. So I turn the key and the car goes "whir whir." "It's the battery," says Adam. "How could you possibly know that?" I ask. And this is where I find out that I probably know less about cars than a monkey. "Because, my husband replies, if it was the starter it would go click click. Any other sound and it's probably the battery."

Oh. I mean, how many of you girls out there knew that? I consider myself a reasonably intelligent and well-educated woman. But when it comes to all things car-related, I know less than a trained monkey. I absolutely dread taking the car into get the oil changed because every time I do, I run the risk of getting monetarily screwed. They could say to me "You need to have your cam rotors realigned" and I would say ok, not knowing that my car doesn't even have cam rotors (admittedly I made that part up, I don't know if there is such a thing as a cam rotor). But you can see the danger. I was already to spend who knows how much today getting my car towed to the dealer and the starter replaced when all it needed was a jump and Adam to replace the battery.

So, any parents of young children out there reading this post, make sure someone teaches your daughter the basics when it comes to a car. They really should know more about it than a trained monkey or at least more than I do.

And by the way, Adam was right. It just needs a new battery. Imagine that.

2 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel. This move, which is mostly a man directed drama, has me feeling inadequate & touchy. I know how to unpack the kitchen. The bowls are fine where they are. I know what exit to take! Well, maybe not the exit part. Please rent the bigger truck. (We didn't and now have a 3rd move today). I deferred about the truck-size, thinking, this is a man's decision. That's why taking over the finances (stereotypical man job) has me feeling like an adult in charge again. Glad you just need a new battery. At least you don't let your ego feel challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I hate is when your battery dies, so you replace the battery, and then your new battery dies, because the reason your first battery died is because the alternator is dead. So, two batteries and a new alternator (and about $500 later), your car finally works again.

    ReplyDelete